At Gawthorpe, we use the Kapow PSHE Scheme of Learning to support our curriculum. This is a whole school PSHE approach that covers 5 core concepts:
Each area is revisited each year to allow children to deepen their understanding. We ensure our PSHE programme works alongside ‘The Gawthorpe Way’ our Character Curriculum.
DfE guidance for PSHE:
Schools should seek to use PSHE education to build, where appropriate, on the statutory content already outlined in the national curriculum, the basic school curriculum and in statutory guidance on: drug education, financial education, sex and relationship education (SRE) and the importance of physical activity and diet for a healthy lifestyle.
The aims of the Gawthorpe Community Academy for PSHE are:
● To support pupils’ spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development
● To prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life
● To teach pupils about safeguarding, including online
It also provides pupils with
● accurate, balanced and relevant knowledge
● opportunities to turn that knowledge into personal understanding
● opportunities to explore, clarify, and if necessary, challenge, their own and others’ values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
● the skills, language and strategies they need in order to live healthy, safe, fulfilling, responsible and balanced lives
● opportunities to develop positive personal attributes such as resilience, self confidence, self-esteem, and empathy.